Andreas P. Andreou
Mr. Andreas Andreou joined Future Worlds Center as an external Research Associate with the New Media Lab in February 2015. In July 2016, he started as Coordinator Assistant of the New Media Lab as well as Vice-Head of the Cyberethics: Cyprus Safer Internet Center and Coordinator of the CyberEthics Hotline. During his engagement with Cyberethics: Cyprus Safer Internet Center, Andreas has implemented more than a hundred experiential workshops and talks to raise awareness about internet safety and the positive aspect of the internet among students, teachers and parents in Cyprus and he has periodically been interviewed on national TV and radio programs on aspects related to the activities of Cyberethics: Cyprus Safer Internet Center. Andreas is currently serving as the Project Coordinator for the H2020 projects MARINA and R&I PEERS. Finally, Andreas is a certified facilitator of Structured Democratic Dialogue.
Mr. Andreas Andreou holds a BA in Greek Philology, pathways Linguistics (Excellent) from the University of Patras (Greece) and an MSc in Forensic Linguistics from Aston University, UK. Being particularly interested in the use of language in the crime, his MSc thesis focused on the analysis of text messages written in Greeklish, namely, the representation of the Greek language with the Latin alphabet, aiming at examining whether we can identify the author of an unknown Greeklish text message by merely examining its language. Having identified the key role that language plays in the cyber crime, his research interests mainly lie in the field of forensic authorship analysis aiming at (a) raising awareness for the dangers that children face on the Internet and (b) analyzing criminal evidence from a linguistic perspective.
Selected Papers & Presentations
- Yiannis Laouris, Andreas Andreou, Fernando Ferri, Patrizia Grifoni, Xenia Schneider, Ibarra, N., Jesper Rohr Hansen, Mette Mechlenborg. to appear. "Designing Sustainable Tourism throughout 10 European cities using Systemic Methodologies". Proceedings of the 14th Hellenic Society for Systemic Studies National and International Conference.
- Milona, V, Andreou, A, Tsadiras, A. 2017. “Directive 2011/93/EU on combating sexual abuse and sexual exploitation of children and its integration into Cyprus law: thoughts andconcerns (in Greek)”
- Ανδρέου, Α. 2015 "Δικαστική Γλωσσολογία και Ηλεκτρονικό Έγκλημα", 
- Andreou, A. 2015. “Consistency in the transliteration of Greek graphemes: The case of Greeklish text messages (in Greek)”. In K. Fragkopoulou, F. Kalamida, T. Kardamas, K. Kordouli, M. Marinis, Ch. Panagiotou & N. Vassalou (eds.), Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, pp 52-59 
- Andreou, A. & Grant, T. in preparation “Authorship analysis in Greeklish”
- Greek Translation of Govindarajan V. & Trimble C. (Publisher: Franklin Green Publishing) book "How Stella Saved The Farm" to appear.
- Andreou, A. “Text messaging language: examining consistencies in Greeklish”, Unpublished MSc dissertation
- "Minors and Social Media", 21st Pancyprian Pediatrician Conference, Limassol, November 2018
- "General Data Protection Regulation: Have your say!", General Assembly of the European Parents Association, Pafos, April 2017
- "The human factor in cybersecurity", Conference "How S@fe is your business", Nicosia, February 2017
- “The language as evidence in the investigation of the crime: Introduction to Forensic Linguistics”, Constanteion Institute of Criminology and Forensic Sciences & CNTI, November 2016
- “Cigarette packages warning in Cyprus: Evaluating the effectiveness of their language” UCLan Cyprus, October 2014.
- “Consistency in the transliteration of Greek graphemes: The case of Greeklish text messages“ 3rd Patras International Conference of Graduate Students in Linguistics, Patras, Greece, May 2014.
- “Authorship analysis: the case of Greeklish” European University, Cyprus, March 2013
- “Authorship analysis in SMS text messages” Cyprus Linguistics Society (Cyling), University of Cyprus, November 2012