Lawrence Kalogreades was born in Limassol, Cyprus, in 1983. He holds M.Sc degrees in Neuroscience and Abnormal and Clinical Psychology, and has been an associate of the CNTI/FWC since 2009. For Lawrence's detailed curriculum vitae please click: Full CV.
Lawrence Kalogreades joined the Cyprus Neuroscience and Technology Institute/Future Worlds Center in 2009 after completing his M.Sc in Clinical and Abnormal Psychology. He immediately assumed the duties of Project Coordinator of the Helpline of the Cyberethics: Cyprus Safer Internet Center.
As the lead coordinator, he led the design of the Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline service, its website, trained and hired its first telephone operators, and led a vigorous public speaking program, ranging from radio and television appearances to talks and presentations at schools and national symposia, in order to achieve the Helpline's out-reach goals. As a result of the success of the Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline he was invited to the "Promotion of Mental Health and Well-being of Children and Young People: Making it happen” conference in 2009, which was organised by the European Commission and the Swedish Ministry of Health and Social Affairs under the auspices of the Swedish Presidency. Along with the local Swedish Helpline, the Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline was the only European Helpline represented at the conference and was selected on the basis of its exceptional progress.
Due to his interest in psychology and the on-going discussion of the possible effects of video-games on their users, Lawrence led an effort in collaboration with Antonis Loizou and Yiannis Laouris to kick-start a unit which would aim to study how violent video-games may affect the physiological and mental states of the individuals playing. This resulted in the creation of the Video-Game Psychophysiology Laboratory, which utilized the NeXus-10 biofeedback platford in order to record biophysical markers of stress, which, when combined with approach and inhibition personality inventories based on the Reinforcement Sensitivity Theory of personality, could help elucidate if experienced gamers showed different stress reactions when compared to non-gamers. The results of these initial trials are currently being analyzed.
Lawrence also coordinated the 2nd International SDDP Facilitators Training School, which included as trainers Prof. Aleco Christakis, the founder of Institute for 21st Century Agoras and father of the science of Dialogic Design, Dr. Yiannis Laouris, Prof. Tom Flanagan, Prof. Ken Bausch, and Marios Michaelides.
He was also part of the team which led the series of SDDPs entitled "Learning and Development Needs for Cypriot Local Authorities". The project involved the implementation of six SDDPs across Cyprus with the aim of diagnosing the educational and training needs of the local authorities with the aim of upgrading the operation of local governance in Cyprus.
During his stay at the Cyprus Neuroscience and Technology Institute, Lawrence represented the organization and presented in at least 20 national and international conferences (see list below).
- Dates: Feb 2009 – July 2010.
- Position: Research Associate – Project Manager.
- Main Activities and Responsibilities: Project Coordinator and trainer for the Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline, Project Coordinator of the 2nd International SDDP Facilitators Training School, Project Coordinator of the Video-Game Psychophysiology Laboratory, writing of research grant applications, public speaker and representative of CNTI/FWC both locally and internationally.
Publications relevant to CNTI/FWC
- Christakis, A., Laouris, Y., Ioannou, M., Kalogreades, L., & Loizou, A. Reports of the Structured Dialogic Design workshops conducted with the local authority executives of the Republic of Cyprus. Nicosia, Cyprus: Future Worlds Center, In press.
- Kalogreades, L. & Aristodemou, E. Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline Training Manual. Nicosia, Cyprus: Future Worlds Center, 2009.
Conferences attended plus significant participation as a CNTI/FWC associate
Please note that the following list is not exhaustive and excludes the majority of public speaking and television/radio appearances.
- 15 - 19 March ‘10, Casserta, Italy. COST Action 2102 Training School, “Toward Autonomous, Adaptive, and Context-Aware Multimodal Interfaces: Theoretical and Practical Issues”, Speaker, CNTI/FWC representative
- 08 - 10 March ‘10, Lisbon, Portugal. INSAFE 2.0 Training Meeting, Steering Committee member, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline representative
- 25 - 26 February ’10, Nicosia, Cyprus. February 2010 Structured Dialogic Design Seminars, Lead Coordinator, lecturer
- 09 - 10 February ’10, Nicosia, Cyprus. Cyprus Telecommunications Authority Safer Internet Day 2010 Conference, Speaker, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline representative
- 03 - 05 November ’09, Brussels, Belgium. INHOPE 10th Anniversary General Assembly & task groups, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline/Hotline representative
- 22 - 23 October ’09, Luxembourg, Luxembourg. Safer Internet Forum, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline representative
- 21 October ‘09, Luxembourg, Luxembourg. INSAFE Annual Meeting, Safer Internet Forum, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline representative
- 29 - 30 September ‘09, Stockholm, Sweden. Promotion of Mental Health and Well-being of Children and Young People: Making it happen, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline representative
- 16 - 19 September ‘09, Madrid, Spain. BioID_MultiComm’09: Joint COST 2101 & 2012 International conference on Biometric ID Management and Multimodal Communication, Management Committee member, CNTI/FWC representative
- 06 - 07 July ‘09, Madrid, Spain. INSAFE Regional Meeting, Speaker, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline representative
- 02 - 05 July ‘09, Nicosia, Cyprus. 2nd International Structured Dialogic Design Process Facilitators Training School, Lead coordinator
- 04 - 06 June ‘09, Playa D’ Aro, Spain. 2nd International Fish Animation Conference, CNTI/FWC representative
- 30 May ’10, Nicosia, Cyprus. Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline Training Seminar, Lead coordinator, trainer
- 08 April ’09, Nicosia, Cyprus. Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline Training Seminar, Lead coordinator, trainer
- 04 April ‘09, Nicosia, Cyprus. Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline Training Seminar, Lead coordinator, trainer
- 23 - 27 March ‘09, Dublin, Ireland. ESF COST 2102 International School. “Development of Multimodal Interfaces: Active Listening and Synchrony”, CNTI/FWC representative
- 09 February ‘09, Nicosia, Cyprus. Safer Internet Day Conference: The internet and social networking, Cyprus Safer Internet Helpline representative
Training activities as a CNTI/FWC associate
- 25 February ’10, Ano Lehonia Magnisias, Greece. Anadrasi Center for Psychosomatic Health, NeXus-10 Biofeedback platform
- 20 October ’09, Luxembourg, Luxembourg. INSAFE Training Meeting, Strategic communications, national promotion strategies, resource management
- 21 - 24 January ’09, Nicosia, Cyprus. Helpline Training Conference: Illegal and harmful content and conduct: Protecting and empowering young people, Helpline operation
- MSc in Neuroscience, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, September '12.
- MSc in Clinical & Abnormal Psychology, Swansea University, Swansea, United Kingdom, January '09.
- BA&Sc Magna Cum Laude in Psychology, San Diego State University, San Diego, USA, December '06.