The following questionnaire has been used for the Biblio.For.Meda Project in order to assess the degree to which Libraries in Cyprus apply life long learning and modern IT in their daily operations.
- Name of Library
- Internet (web-site)
- Typology (type of authority, and users)
- Head of Library
- Number of staff
- Number of users in the last year
- Number of users as % of population
- Book stock (if necessary specify how many rare books etc.)
- Subscriptions to:
Please reply by providing examples or other details where applicable
1. Location and organization of the spaces
- Is your library easily accessible place and is it well served by public transport?
- Is it accessible for users with disabilities?
- Is the building attractive inside and out?
- Is there enough space and is it functional?
- Does the library offer meeting rooms for other activities (e.g. demonstrations, # exhibitions, lectures, etc.) ?
- Are there areas that encourage socialization and other areas for quiet study?
- Is there a separate area for periodicals and for other special collections (e.g. printed music, photographs, antiquarian) and for other services (e.g. children library, local studies, multimedia)?
2. Services offered
- Is the layout of the library and its materials clear and comprehensible for new users?
- Are there clear joining procedures?
- Are the IT systems (e.g. opac, web-site) easy and comprehensible?
- Are there alternative forms of delivery for those who cannot access the library (e.g. housebound services, mobile libraries, lending points in community location)?
- Are waiting times at the issue desk reasonable (how many minutes)?
- What are your current opening hours and have you any plans to change them?
- What quality assurance schemes do you follow and do you have a customer charter?
- Do you have agreements with other libraries in the area to facilitate access?
- Is the library networked electronically with other institutions in order to provide a better service (e.g. museums, archives, schools, colleges, etc.)?
- Does the library organize any Lifelong Learning courses by itself or with other partners (e.g. FE colleges) ?
- Does the library organize any cultural activities (reading groups, poetry reading, community celebrations)?
- For which services does the library charge users?
3. Staff organization
- Can you describe the current staff situation including the use off part-time, temporary and volunteer staff? What would be ideal?
- What qualifications and professional training are required by staff (librarians and library assistants)?
- Does your staff take part in professional development courses?
- What skills do you think staff needs, to deliver Lifelong Learning services to users?
- Are the staff organized into departments or sections (e.g. reference, lending)?
- What are the main developments for your library service? And how will they impact on staff?
- What objectives have you set for the library service for the next year/years?
- Does the library management consult staff about changes, affecting the service and the future?