The European Council agreed in December 2011 that the Digital Single Market was an area of growth potential for the European Union. Vice-President Kroes, the Commissioner for the Digital Agenda asked the College to take up the challenge set by the European Council. On 14 February 2012, President Barroso wrote to Member States and asked them to take action to make the Digital Single Market a reality. One way to do this is for each country to appoint a Digital Champion. The Council of Minisiters of Cyprus appointed on 30/10/2012 Dr. Stelios Himonas, currently serving as Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, Industry and Tourism, as the Digital Champion of Cyprus.
Each Digital Champion develops initiatives in their own countries to get people more digital. They are expected to work with citizens, communities and businesses to exploit the growth potential of the digital economy.
The Digital Champion of Cyprus has launched the following initiatives:
- Promotes the Digital Cyprus platform and has placed it under his auspices
- Launched an initiative for free internet in local communities
- Launched a strategic partnership initiative to promote the creation of digital jobs
- Research to evaluate the gap in IT-related jobs
- Supports the creation of a national Safer Internet Center
- http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/about-digital-champions European Council decision
- http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/digital-champions Digital Champions of Europe
- http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/digital-champion-cyprus Stelios Himonas page in Europe