Relation to Future Worlds Center
About the organisation
Südwind bases its work on the principles* of the non-partisan, nondenominational ÖIE - Österreichischer Informationsdienst für Entwicklungspolitik (Austrian Information Service for International Development Policy) that was founded in 1979 and renamed Südwind in 1997. Südwind is financed through national and international public funds and private contributions.
Südwind applies the unique international development expertise it has acquired to both its teaching work, particularly „Global Learning“, and its PR and Campaign work.
Südwind's work in Austria is conducted by a network of regional offices and partners. On local, regional, national, and international levels, Südwind cooperates with organizations and institutions in the fields of international development, education, environment, culture, and social issues, as well as with various civil society networks and important political figures. Südwind regularly carries out projects of its own, and makes its know-how available to other organizations and institutions.
The diversity of Südwind's projects reflects the complexity of North-South relations, culturally, economically, environmentally, politically, and interpersonally. Südwind is committed to environmentally, economically, and socially sustainable development, and campaigns for a narrowing of the gap between North and South.
Südwind is critical of the economics-oriented doctrine of neoliberal globalisation's rich and powerful, and works with other civil society players to develop concepts, outlooks, and visions for a socially just, environmentally sustainable, culturally diverse, and politically participative world.
Südwind solidarizes with those disadvantaged by the current world order, i.e. all those who are denied political voice, material resources, cultural fulfilmet, gender equality, education, and/or healthcare. We expose the structural causes for these inequalities.
Südwind facilitates encounters between people of differing cultural, political, social, and economic backgrounds, and strikes a path toward greater mutual respect, tolerance, and appreciation. Südwind affords this -- virtually, physically, and intellectually – to like-minded people who want to get involved.
Areas of Activity
Südwind's core competencies and key fields of activity are in the area of international development eduacation, which we also call „Global Learning“, in the production of international development media, in the introduction of international development issues and concerns into civil society initiatives, mostly via campaigns and in the compilation of studies on global issues. Our work also includes lobbying relevant political figures and decision-makers about our concerns.
- Südwind informs in Austria about international development-related issues and critically questions policies that maintain or increase inequality, ostracize the socially powerless, and breaches basic human rights. Südwind is committed to informing the public on issues that tend to get neglected or supressed.
- Südwind questions political practices that are inconsistent with the UN's Millenium Development Goals.
- Südwind develops solutions, procedure alternatives, and visions for global justice through dialogue with partners from civil society and developing countries.
- Südwind contributes to policy discussions that are essential to sustainable North-South
politics. The structure of North-South relations are to be made transparent in order to foster critical consciousness and promote political capacity to take action. We work to demonstrate interconnectedness between global, national, regional, and local processes, as well as to present new perspectives in general.
- Südwind publishes Südwind Magazin, though its content is formally independent of Südwind, and, in oneworld.at, maintains a Austrian internet platform for Autrian NGOs
revolving around international development issues.