|Type||local civil organization, NGO|
Relation to Future Worlds Center
YEU (Youth for Exchange and Understanding) Cyprus was established in 1985 as a Cypriot non-political, non-governmental organization (NGO) aiming to foster closer co-operation and better understanding among the young people of the world - both between and within countries - by exchanging information, experiences and ideas. YEU Cyprus is one of the biggest youth organizations in Cyprus numbering more than 700 members. It is also considered to be one of the most active organizations of the island realizing several activities, such as hosting events, organizing seminars and training courses and implementing and participating in international and local activities.
YEU Cyprus is a full member of the CYC - the official coordinating body of Cypriot Youth Organizations and is represented in the CYC Board. It is also a member of the Advisory Body of the Cyprus Youth Board, governmental organization responsible for youth issues of the island. YEU Cyprus is affiliated with the YEU International platform which is under the European Youth Forum umbrella, and through its active role in the network it frequently participates as a partner in various international events, trainings, youth conventions and exchanges.
Mission and Aims
Youth for Exchange and Understanding Cyprus works to establish mutual understanding, acceptance and support among countries, communities and people on cultural, educational and social issues. It also focuses on improving the relationships among youngsters coming from countries with different political systems, religious beliefs and traditions, thus fostering social inclusion and mutual respect. More specifically, through its activities YEU Cyprus aims:
- To promote co-operation and mutual understanding between young people for cultural, educational and social purposes;
- To work towards resolving conflicts and promote a peaceful society through the recognition and respect for others.
- To improve the relationships and promote understanding among young people of different cultural or political realities;
- To work together on issues related to protection of the environment and sustainability.
- To support and promote the health and well-being of young people in order to advance their quality of life.
- To encourage the active involvement and participation of all young people in society without distinction because of race, social status, educational levels or any other disadvantage.