From Future Worlds Center WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Mrs. Irini Armouti started as an intern with the Future Worlds Center in September 2009 even though her official scholarship was January 2010 to April 2010. She has worked under the guidance of Kerstin Wittig in the Global Education Unit, while she also got involved in the Structured Democratic Dialogue facilitations with local authorities in the cities of Larnaca and Nicosia.
During her internship at Future Worlds Center, Irini completed the following tasks:
- The most notable achievements as an intern was the successful organization of the final European Conference for the EU funded project Accessing Development Education in Limassol (08 – 10 April 2010) with 100 participants from all across Europe
- Drafting of Self-Evaluation and Team-Evaluation surveys for the FWC associates, based on examples of good practice produced by other NGOs, corresponding to the needs of the organization, under the guidance of Yiannis Laouris
- Learned about the Structured Democratic Dialogue (SDD) methodology and actively participated in the team of Facilitators in an extensive series of SDD workshops for local authorities from Nicosia and Larnaca. This involved preparation of the workshops, assisting in organizing the workshop venue, following up on invitations, preparing workshop welcome packs for the participants, preparing the working materials for the facilitators, acting as co-facilitator during four 2-day SDD workshops under the lead of Yiannis Laouris and Aleco Christakis
- Contributed to the creation of a Photo-Pack for teacher trainings; visiting the asylum seeker reception centre to take photos to be included in the Pack;
- Drafting of a letter to the Minister of Interior, suggesting the participation and consultation of Future Worlds Center in the creation of the new Integration Plan as stipulated by the Ministry;
- Translation of legal, administrative documents from Greek to English;
- Administrative support (correspondence, managing office supplies, managing telephone calls of asylum seekers and refugees, scheduling their appointments with Future Worlds Center legal advisors and social workers);
- Liaison with student organizations and youth groups for initiatives promoting the Millennium Development Goals;
- Participation in capacity building workshops about Media Involvement, Media Crisis Management, and Audio Post-production organized by the Cyprus Community Media Centre.
Irini was studying sociology and History at the Johannes-Gutenberg-University in Mainz before joining Future Worlds Center and she continued for a Magister (M.A.) in Sociology (and History, 2nd subject) from the same university after her internship.