1001 Actions for Peace: Dialogue through Sports
The 1001 Actions for Peace: Dialogue through Sports Project is part of the regional campaign "1001 Actions for Dialogue" launched by the Anna Lindh Foundation (ALF) the Dialogue between Cultures for the enhancement of peaceful coexistence and intercultural dialogue in the Euro-Mediterranean area. The action was generated with the financial support of the Anna Lindh Foundation and was carried out in collaboration with Cyprus EU Association, Peace Players International and the Environmental Study Centre.
The vision of this project
The project concentrated on:
- Increasing Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot coaches’ and Peace Players International (PPI) team members’ skills through Non-Violent Communication (NVC)
- Increasing dialogue among Cypriot youth during mono- and bi-communal activities through sports
- Emphasizing team spirit and relationship building through interaction
- Empowering youth to visualize a future Cyprus with Structured Dialogic Design Process.
- The project aimed to reach the Turkish Cypriot and the Greek Cypriot youth aged 10-15 both from urban and rural settings (approximately 300 youngsters have been reached; the project also aimed to encourage girls’ participation)
- PeacePlayers International Basketball team members and coaches
- Cypriot Civil Society
In celebrating the EU’s Year of Intercultural Dialogue, the Action has held the following activities:
- Train the trainer: 3-4 sustainable workshops of NVC involving facilitation and envisioning for PPI team coaches island-wide
- Train the youth: PPI team coaches return to their communities and deliver training to youth in a mono- and bi-communal setting. *Cypriot youth paints their future Cyprus on a canvass together; youth’s paintings have been displayed in the Buffer Zone
- Dialogue Night: one basketball finale and video production by the bi-communal television show “Biz/Emeis” highlighting the project for their show on the “Dialogue Night”
- An interview featuring the representatives from the partner organizations on the bi-communal radio show “Talk of the Island”
- Disseminating the video and a ‘pod cast’ of the interview for the project members’ and Anna Lindh Foundation’s websites.