Six Steps to Global Citizenship (GlobaLab 2)
Τhe project has the primary objective to promote active global citizenship and to increase opportunities for youth participation in Lithuania, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Spain. “Six Steps to Global Citizenship” offers an innovative approach towards active global citizenship applied in the field of youth work, by facilitating activities that aim to enhance the skills and knowledge of the youth and by attempting to aid positive change in their behaviour in a manner that will enhance their abilities to meet global challenges and become active in addressing them.
By involving young people and other respective stakeholders in the process of designing an image of the future global citizen, the project partners will take into consideration their views and expectations towards becoming more active and sensitive to global challenges. The transnational cooperation that is involved in the project allows the interaction of different perspectives to active global citizenship activities and secures the improvement of the young participants’ competencies of intercultural communication, strengthens the sense of solidarity, respect for diversity and the sense of belonging to a global community. It is the project’s aspiration to enable participants to understand that they are personally able to make a difference in the world.
1. To identify key characteristics of a future global citizen, that are relevant to young people in partner countries;
2. To provide a 6-step approach for youngsters to build active global citizenship skills, so they became promoters of the fundamental values, such as solidarity, tolerance and respect for diversity, equality, justice and peace in the society;
3. To build synergies between the field of youth and education for fostering civic actions of youngsters towards sustainable future of the communities in Europe and around the world.
1) Young People (students 13-19) Young people are the group that will benefit the most from the activities. The project will engage 240 young people who will be reached by establishing partnerships between youth workers and youth organisations directly engaged in the project and schools. Each project partner will select a minimum of two schools, from different areas (ideally one from a rural area, and the other from a bigger town).
2) Youth Workers, leaders of youth organisations, trainers
3) Other potential users
1) Development of a common understanding on the Key Characteristics necessary for future Global Citizens
2) Strengthen Youth Work in partner countries by providing new approaches, tools and resources on Active Global Citizenship
3) Equip Youth Workers in partner countries with new competencies necessary to embed global citizenship activities in youth work
4) Provide young people with new opportunities to gain competencies which will allow them to demonstrate the commitment to global challenges and take an active civic role towards making a difference in a global society.
5) Build synergies between the field of education and youth by joining efforts of youth organisations and school education institutions to engage young people into attractive and innovative civic participation activities and making them the promoters of the core values of global citizenship.
This publication has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of Future Worlds Center and can in no way be taken to reﬂect the views of the European Union.